Date – May 2016 – March 2017
Focus Area – Food Systems Planning, Policy and Planning Recommendations, Community Engagement and Activation.
Services – Project Management; Best Practices and Case Study Development, Policy, Market, and Demographic Research; Stakeholder and Community Outreach; Proposing Solutions and Recommendations.
Timbre Consultants was engaged by the Buffalo Niagara Medical Campus (BNMC) to bring our urban systems and planning perspective to the role of project manager for their Farm to Hospital initiative, exploring opportunities for the procurement of local food in Buffalo hospitals. Members of the team also included the University of Buffalo, The Cornell Cooperative Extension, Field and Fork Network and Health Care Without Harm
The initiative, funded by the United States Department of Agriculture Local Food Procurement Planning grant, set out with the following five objectives for the medical campus in downtown Buffalo:
- Build a shared understanding of and commitment to local food procurement among member institutions;
- Complete market research and analysis for demand of local agricultural products among member institutions;
- Identify and engage farmers, producers, distributors, and processors to connect local products with BNMC institution markets;
- Propose solutions to identified barriers by participating member institutions; and
- Share recommendations as widely as possible at local, regional, state, and national levels.
This work culminated in the report: From Farm to Hospital: Setting the Table for a Local Food Procurement Strategy at the Buffalo Niagara Medical Campus. Its purpose, to provide team partners, project funders, and other institutions with an overview of:
- A background of BNMC, Inc. and how this initiative is integral to its vision of a healthy campus community;
- The Farm to Hospital team approach in investigating local procurement opportunities among BNMC member institutions;
- Opportunities and challenges of implementation identified in the process of research and stakeholder engagement; and
- Key recommendations for Implementation of a Farm to Hospital program on the medical campus.